Thursday 19 April 2012

My Material World

    Books! I have a lot of books. Rough estimate is 250. They take up a lot of room.

These are some of my favourite books, all of which I've read multiple times

I love my iPod touch and rarely go anywhere without it, mostly because I get bored without my music


This is a Venetian mask I bough in Italy and it reminds of my trip every time I look at it.

I found my favourite comfy chair on the side of the road for free years ago.

The family iMac is awesome but it sucks up way to much of my time

I put 3 months of my time and energy into making this Cowichan sweater and to me it makes it the most valuable piece of clothing I own.

Some other hand-made creatures that I put a lot of time into. They always make me smile.

A cheap necklace from Mexico that has high sentimental value to me because it belonged to my mom. 

My dog, who I begged for so much as a seven year old. 

I love hiking and camping and my back pack has served me well over the years. 

My house is full of old, interesting things like phonographs, stereoscopes, and this telephone.


      When I started looking for things to photograph, I quickly realized I had too much stuff that had very little value to me. I realized quickly that the things that mean the most to me are the ones that either I've made, or that other people have made/bought for me. If someone makes something for me, it's going to be special to me because I appreciate the effort they put into it. Books are probably the first thing someone would notice when they walk into my room, and they're something I don't mind spending money on. My iPod is almost always attached to me, though my phone is not. I don't care that it's over 3 years old, as long as it plays music I don't need something newer. I would rather spend my money on materials to make a sweater than buy a sweater and I would rather save up to buy new camping equipment than a new phone. Yes, I think I am part of the youth consumer culture, but I try to buy things that are going to give me enjoyment beyond the physical product. Over the years there are lots of things that I've bought because of advertising or other media influences, but those are rarely products which I value for a long period of time.


No comments:

Post a Comment